Wednesday, December 30, 2009

First Sunday 2010

Well, it's been snowing in the St Louis area for the past week, which puts me in the mood for soup and sandwiches. So, I think I will make Giada De Laurentiis' Croissant Paninis and a Triple Tomato Soup from Better Homes and Gardens.

The panini calls for Genoa salami, so I'll leave that ingredient off my sandwich, but will include it for the others. All-in-all, though, this just sounds comforting and yummy to me.

I'm also going to make a Peach and Strawberry Crumble recipe I found in my December issue of Shape magazine. I won't eat the ice cream, but I know my mom and dad will.

Peach and Strawberry Crumble
Butter for pan
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground arrowroot
1 pound frozen, thawed strawberries, halved
1 1/2 pounds frozen, thawed peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced
3/4 cup light brown sugar, divided
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup vanilla ice cream

1- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter an 8-inch square glass baking dish.
2- whisk together lemon juice and arrowroot until smooth. Add fruit and 1/2 cup of the brown sugar. Gently toss until coated. Pour fruit mixture into prepared pan.
3- In a food processor, combine flour, oats, almonds, remaining brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Pulse until mixed. Add butter and pulse until pea-size. Sprinkle mixture over filling and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until filling is bubbling and top is golden. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Spoon into bowls and serve with ice cream.

Sounds pretty tasty. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment