Saturday, June 18, 2011

Father's Day

Tomorrow is Father's Day and I'll be going over to my sister's house. I'm either taking the meal already prepared or cooking the meal at her house; I haven't decided that yet. Today I'm deciding what to make and visiting the grocery to pick up any ingredients I don't already have on hand.

Last things first - I know what we're having for dessert. The original recipe is from Pillsbury and is called Chocolate-Filled Crescents. My friend Becky made these for Bunco with a slight adjustment. I'm following Becky's twist: instead of chocolate chips, she used a layer of Nutella topped with a thin layer of almond paste for the filling. YUMMY! Becky baked them for 13 minutes at 350. I'm also thinking of making a few Raspberry Crescent Twists.

While figuring out dessert has been a snap, the main dish is harder for me to come up with. I have been cooking these past two Sundays, I just haven't blogged about it.

Last week I made grilled cauliflower and a simply delicious Three Bean Salad. Each dish was really good. The three bean salad is going to be my go-to recipe for potlucks this summer; I may even make it for the girls float trip I'm going on in July. Grilled cauliflower was a real hit too. I sliced 2 cauliflower heads, thinly coated the slices with olive oil, salt, and pepper and then grilled them to a nice carmelization; I also grilled some large baby protobello mushrooms alongside the cauliflower. Everything was a hit.



Two weeks ago I made a cheese tortellini with grilled vegetables dish that I was very happy with and that I made up myself!
Cheese Tortellini with Grilled Vegetables
2 1 lb packages frozen cheese tortellini, cooked to package directions, rinsed with cold water
1/4 cup Greek Feta salad dressing
1 medium eggplant, sliced in rounds
1 medium yellow squash, sliced in rounds
1 medium zucchini, sliced in rounds
8 oz package medium baby portobello mushrooms, cleaned and halved
2 red bell peppers, cut into 1.5 inch squares
1 lb fresh green beans, washed and ends trimmed
Olive oil

1- Toss the prepared tortellini with the salad dressing and refrigerate until ready to serve with vegetables.
2- Toss cut vegetables with olive oil. Heat grill to medium.
3- Grill like-sized vegetables together, leaving beans for last. Grill to desired consistency.
4- Toss vegetables with tortellini. Serve warm or cold.

This recipe makes a lot, so if you don't have many people to feed or if you don't want a lot of leftovers, adjust your ingredients appropriately.

So, back to Father's Day. Hmmm...I'm still not sure beyond dessert, but I'll let you know how it all turns out!

Carpe Diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment