Thursday, June 23, 2011

BBQ Kidney Patties, Zucchini-Tomato Gratin and Grilled Caesar Salad Tartines

It's one of those rare occasions when I know what I'm going to make for Sunday dinner long before the weekend. This Sunday's menu revolves around the Grilled Caesar Salad Tartines recipe found in the July/August 2011 Vegetarian Times magazine. When I saw this recipe I knew I wanted to make it. Having been grilling veggies for recent dinners it is only reasonable that I'd be up for grilling salad. I'll be doubling the recipe since the original serves four and there are usually eight of us for dinner.

With that decided, I started thinking about what might complement the grilled salad. I also had been wanting the Kidney Bean burgers that I've made a few times in the past; I think the last time I made these was on June 12, 2010. But, because there is bread involved with the salad, I don't really want burgers. Also, I want to change the taste up a bit. So, I'm going to use a Classic BBQ Rub recipe in with the kidney beans mixture and just make patties for our protein.

And, I felt we needed just a little something more. When I came across a Zucchini-Tomato Gratin recipe from the July/August 2009 issue of Vegetarian Times magazine, I thought "perfect." I'm also going to make the Blue Ribbon Stuffed Crust Blueberry Pie which I've made a few times - yummy.

I guess that all in all I'm cooking a lot for dinner this Sunday. But, it really shouldn't be too big of a deal. I'll prep the kidney bean patties, make the gratin, and have everything but grilling the romaine done for the salad before going to my sister's house. I'll also have the pie already made. When I get to my sister's all I'll need to do is grill the patties and romaine and dinner will be served. I'll be sure to let you know how it all turns out!

Grilled Caesar Salad Tartines
Serves 4

Vegetable Oil, for brushing grill
3 1/2 Tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
1 Tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
3 teaspoons Dijon mustard, divided
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, plus 1 oz for shaving into curls
1 1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 romaine hearts, each halved
4 large slices crusty Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
1 clove garlic, halved

1- Brush grill grates with oil, and preheat grill to medium.
2- Whisk together yogurt, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Stir in 3 Tablespoons Parmesan; season with pepper.
3- Whisk together olive oil, remaining 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, and remaining 2 teaspoons mustard in separate bowl. Brush oil mixture over romaine halves. Grill 6 minutes, turning once, or until brown around edges. Transfer to a platter.
4- Grill bread 1 minute on each side. Rub garlic halves over toast slices. Spread yogurt mixture on toast slices, and top with grilled romaine halves. Shave Parmesan curls over top.

No comments:

Post a Comment