Sunday, January 10, 2010

After Dinner Thoughts - Original Recipe


Today I made my own creation, something I really don't do very often. Sure, I make adjustments and modifications to the recipes I find, but I don't usually make my own recipe. So, we wanted lasagna and I was thinking once again of that Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Feta Vinaigrette we had on September 13, 2009. Tonight I made what I am calling Mediterranean Veggie Lasagna. The photo is of the 1/3 of the entire dish that I brought home.

Tina's Mediterranean Veggie Lasagna

1 tablespoon olive oil
8 oz small white mushrooms, quartered
1 small red onion, chopped fine
3 large cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots, sliced thin
2 small yellow squash, sliced or chopped
4 oz fresh baby spinach, chopped
3 oz sundried tomatoes, chopped
12 oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
3.8 oz can sliced ripe olives, drained
2 oz pine nuts
2 24 oz jars marinara sauce (I use Bertolli Marinara with Burgundy Wine)
2 eggs
15 oz container light ricotta
4 oz goat cheese crumbles
6 oz domestic Parmesan cheese, shredded
2 cups 2% milk Mozzarella cheese, shredded
10 No boil Lasagna noodles

1- Spray a large lasagna pan with non-stick spray.
2- Combine ricotta, eggs, parmesan, and goat cheeses in a large bowl.
3- Put olive oil in a medium pan on the stove on medium heat. Add mushrooms, saute for about 5 minutes; add carrots, saute for 3 more minutes then add onion and saute until soft. Add garlic and saute 2 more minutes. Set aside.
4- Cover the bottom of the pan with 1/2 of a jar of marinara sauce. Lay 1/2 of the noodles on top of the sauce, breaking to fit the pan.
5- Spread 1/3 of cheese mixture on noodles.
6- Layer all of the squash on top of the cheese. Cover the squash with about 1/2 cup of Mozzarella cheese and then the rest of the 1st jar of marinara sauce.
7- Layer remaining noodles. Spread 1/3 cheese mixture.
8- Cover noodles with artichokes, and black olives. Spread mushroom mixture over artichokes/black olives. Cover with spinach and sundried tomatoes. Add last 1/3 cheese mixture.
9- Cover with remaining marinara sauce; sprinkle pine nuts and then remaining Mozzarella cheese over all.
10- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake in a 350 F oven for 55 minutes.
11- Take foil off dish, return to oven and bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese begins to brown and is bubbly.

I figured this recipe makes 12 servings with 7 - 8 weight watchers points per serving.

We loved it! Mom said she wants this recipe every so often. It had a flavor similar to the Orzo salad, but a bit different with the marinara sauce. It did make a huge batch of lasagna. I would have put another layer of noodles in the pan if I would have had room, but there was no room with all the veggies.

I must say I am pretty proud of how this turned out. YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment