Sunday, January 31, 2010

Superbowl Sunday 2010

Who's playing the game? Who cares? Ok, ok - I know plenty of people care. I'm just not a big football fan, although there is a good chance I'll watch some of the game. Oh - and Michael tells me the Colts and the Saints are playing. I'm sure the game will be on the television in my parents living room. Here is what I plan to have on the menu...

I'm leaning towards a semi Tex-Mex menu. I'll make a Healthy and Hearty Smokey Black Bean Dip and Spiced Chili-Lime Corn Chips. I found both recipes on Chowhound. Tex-Mex Corn Chowder sounds yummy too.

I think a salad with fresh grapefruit will be refreshing. Because so many of the recipes that popped up when I searched for "grapefruit" salad have avocado in them, but none are just what I am looking for, I think I'll make this one up. I'm going to use grapefruit, avocado, fresh greens, toasted pecans (I have quite a few pecans still on hand), goat cheese (just because I love goat cheese), maybe some red onion, fresh lime for the zest and juice, maybe a few chopped kalamata olives, maybe a fresh jalapeno pepper, a bit of kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. I might try to make a dressing with olive oil, grapefruit juice, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, and brown rice syrup or I'll use Maple Grove Farms Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing.

So, we're basically having soup and salad with chips and dip. I haven't come up with dessert yet.

Grapefruit reminds me of the absolutely best ever Cosmopolitan I ever had - it was a grapefruit Cosmo. This was a few years ago in Seattle at a restaurant kind of close to the main library. Yummy mussels, scallops, and fresh fish dish (yeah, I know, what else would you expect in Seattle?). The Cosmo though, mmmmmmm...makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Do you think I could remember the name of the restaurant? Of course not.

Anyway, it's Tex-Mex for Superbowl Sunday dinner. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment