Sunday, December 5, 2010

Pounded Walnut Strozzapreti

Friday evening I looked through a pile of recipes I have printed over the years and came across this recipe for Pounded Walnut Strozzapreti that I've been interested in trying for about a year. It sounds wonderful to me!

I'm also going to add a side dish of creamed spinach. The recipe I'm using is from my copy of Joy of Cooking. However, I'm using thawed frozen spinach, squeezed dry, instead of fresh spinach. Additionally, I'm either using plain soy milk or vegetable broth instead of cream or chicken broth. Oh - and I won't be using bacon. Otherwise, I think the recipe should turn out fine. When cooking with soy milk, I know it's important to take care, but it's also important to take care when cooking with cow's milk.

When I was going through my recipe pile, I also came across a Tuna with White Beans and Onions recipe that I had copied from a Weight Watchers book (which book, I'm unsure). The recipe sounded so good that I went ahead and made it on Friday. Mmmm...and it is good! It's a great lunch dish. Here's the recipe:

Tuna with White Beans and Onions

Canned tuna is available in three grades: solid, chunk, and flaked. Solid, sometimes called fancy, is considered the best.

Makes 4 servings

1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 (6 ounce) cans olive-oil-packed light tuna, drained
1 red onion, chopped
1/4 cup dry red wine
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, or 2 teaspoons dried
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, until the flavors are blended, at least 2 hours.

Per serving (about 1 1/2 cups): 301 calories, 17 g fat, 3 g sat. fat, 0 g trans. fat, 38 mg cholesterol, 552 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein, 42 mg calcium
Points value: 7

When I made this, I used burgundy as that was all I had and I unintentionally forgot to put the garlic in. The dish still tasted yummy! Cannellini beans are also sometimes called white kidney beans. I decreased the amount of sage in the recipe. While I do like sage, I only had rubbed sage and I feared two teaspoons would be too much. So, I used only 1 teaspoon; I probably will use 1 1/2 teaspoons of the sage the next time I make this recipe.

Anyway, it's time to get busy. I'll let you know how dinner turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment