Monday, January 24, 2011

After Dinner Thoughts


High raves for the Chili-Glazed Tofu over Asparagus and Rice! Mom said, "This is a real success. Put it in the regular rotation." Here's how I prepared it...

I first drained the tofu then placed it on top of paper towels on a cookie sheet with paper towels on top, then a cutting board, then a cookbook (for weight). After the tofu drained for over an hour, I cubed the tofu into small - maybe 1/2-inch - cubes. I cooked it in the peanut oil until it was lightly browned all around.

I cut the asparagus and carrots into bite size pieces (I didn't used shredded carrots, instead I used fresh that I sliced to be about the size of the asparagus). Then I roasted the vegetables in a 350° oven for about 30 minutes.

I doubled the sauce and when I cooked it I let it reduce quite a bit. I didn't have hot chili sauce with garlic, so I used sweet chili sauce and added a couple pinches of red pepper flakes. Additionally, because I doubled the sauce, instead of using 2 teaspoons of minced ginger I used 1 teaspoon ginger and 1 teaspoon minced garlic.

I didn't mix the rice and vegetables together. Instead I kept the rice separate so I added the sesame oil to the vegetables. I made more rice than the recipe called for and I wanted to be able to use the rice for another recipe later this week.

This was a fairly easy recipe to prepare and truly tasty. Yes, I will make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment