Sunday, April 22, 2012

Southern Stir Fry: a long-time favorite

While working on organizing my home office (I've still got a lot of work to do on it), I discovered some cook books and booklets I hadn't seen for awhile.  One is a March 2000 grocery store recipe booklet from Betty Crocker - Easy Vegetarian Classics Go Meatless.  There is one particular recipe that I've been making from this booklet for at least ten years; but I haven't apparently made it anytime recently.  Well, today's the day.  We're having Southern Stir-Fry.  In the recipe the main adaptation I make is in using a 9 or 10 ounces package of frozen spinach that I thaw and drain before adding it to the recipe.  I'll make some cornbread, slice some fresh Kumato tomatoes, and dinner will be served.

Yesterday I went to  the annual Relay for Life chicken dinner, auction, and dance that some friends of ours host.  We've been going to the event for several years and I always look forward to picking up dessert at it.  A couple of year's ago I was the high bidder on a chocolate meringue pie that was to die for!  Last year I picked up a lemon meringue pie (for $100.00!!! - all for a good cause).  This year the person who always bids against me on the pies wasn't at the auction.  But, I didn't bid on a pie.  Instead I bid on this homemade white chocolate raspberry cheesecake with an oreo cookie crust and I won at only $42.50!  Now, I certainly understand that this will completely blow my carbs and calories out of the water today, but I also know that Michael, Mom, and Dad will all be very happy.  Here's a picture of the cheesecake:


I'm very happy to be able to report that our friends' Relay for Life team has raised more than $100,000.00 over the past ten years!  I'm very proud to have been a supporter of their effort.


I'll come back later to let you know how everything turns out.

After dinner thoughts:
Mmmmmm...that was mighty yummy!  In fact, tonight there are no leftovers; we ate all of the stir fry and tomatoes.  This really is one of our very favorite recipes.  I can hardly believe I haven't made this in so long. It's incredibly easy and quite low in calories.  A long time ago, under an older weight watchers points system 1.5 cups of this dish equaled only 3 points!  I don't know what the point count would be today, but it still can't be that much.

The cheesecake was pretty terrific too - and there is plenty of that left.  I'm sending more than half of what is left home with Mom and Dad plus I made a special little container just for my sister Cindy.  I'm sure there are more weight watchers points in one serving of the cheesecake than anyone is supposed to have in one day.  I had half a serving - still too many calories/points, and still quite delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment