Monday, September 7, 2009

After Dinner Thoughts

So, we enjoyed the Portobello-and-Zucchini Tacos, although they were a bit messy/juicy.

Instead of the black bean and corn salad, I made Bean and Corn Casserole with Tortilla-Crunch Topping from Weight Watchers Comfort Classics cookbook (page 137). I changed recipes because my husband, Michael, really doesn't like vinegar of any kind, and all of the Black Bean and Corn Salad recipes I'm aware of use some type of vinegar.

The Weight Watchers recipe calls for ricotta cheese, which I didn't have on hand, and I didn't want to go to the grocery. So, I searched for an alternative and I found a few tofu substitutes for lasagna recipes. Well, I had tofu on hand, so I adapted a recipe to fit my needs (I wasn't needing Italian seasonings). With my adaptation the Weight Watchers points value went from 7 points per serving to 5 points per serving. Here's my adaptation:

Tofu Ricotta Substitute
1 package extra firm tofu
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic
juice of 1 small lemon
1/4 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
1/4 cup nutritional yeast

1- Using your hands, crumble tofu in a large bowl
2- Add lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper
3- Mash everything together until no tofu chunks remain and mixture is more the consistency of ricotta (about 2 minutes)
4- Add oil and nutritional yeast and mix together using a fork
5- Set aside until needed in recipe

I just omitted the basil and oregano from the original recipe. I'll use the tofu ricotta substitute again. The casserole was TERRIFIC, if I do say so myself. Michael also made some fresh guacamole that was delicious as always. We put the guac on the tacos and added some fresh salsa on the casserole. Everyone was happy. My total dinner points = 12 (5 for the taco, 5 for the casserole, and 2 for the guacamole); not too bad.

My dad was really happy, though, when he got to eat some of the leftover pecan pie my mom made yesterday. Dad has a huge sweet tooth!

I've got to try to remember to take my camera with me to have some photos to share.

Saturday (9/12) is my parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary! The following Monday (9/14) is Michael and my 18th Wedding Anniversary. We'll have some celebrating to do next weekend. However, since football season starts in earnest next weekend, we won't be seeing much of Michael on Sundays for awhile. He enjoys watching football with some of his longtime friends; I must admit I enjoy his watching football with them instead of me too.

A friend of mine, Amy, was my inspiration for starting this blog. She hosts Vintage Cookbooks, where she shares her collection "with the unsuspecting public." Amy has asked me to be a guest blogger on her site next Sunday. I'm already fretting about out what to wear...

No comments:

Post a Comment