Thursday, September 17, 2009

Ahead of the Game!

I've been having a terrific craving for pizza. I'm pretty sure it was prompted by this "Healthified" Cheesy Pizza Pasta recipe I came across last week. In actuality, this recipe was delivered to one of my email addresses. Yes, I have more than one email address - I bet lots of other people do too. I have my work address, my personal address, and my personal business address (pba). The pba is the one I use for special offers and to place online orders - it allows me to be fairly anonymous and it keeps my other addresses from being cluttered up with unnecessary mail. (Okay it's impossible to completely avoid unnecessary mail, but you do what you can.)

Anyway, I'm trying to remember why these EatBetterAmerica emails are appearing in my pba. I know it's because I signed up for a free sample of something, I just can't remember what that was. I guess it doesn't really matter, but if you want to get on the mailing list, visit www.eatbetteramerica.com and you too can have "healthified" recipes sent your way. They even have a place to send your recipes in to have them "healthified." I haven't tried this, but it could be an option. Oh - and as an added bonus they also offer $ off coupons on lots of grocery items.

So, I found this cheesy pizza pasta recipe, set it aside, and had the presence of mind to note needed ingredients on the grocery list before Michael went to the store today! Yay - I don't have to stop anytime this weekend!!! This recipe calls for multigrain rotini, lean Italian turkey sausage, an onion, fresh mushrooms, diced tomatoes, pasta sauce, dried basil, turkey pepperoni, and reduced fat Italian cheese blend. I'm okay with just about everything in the recipe except the turkey ingredients. I am going to just drop the pepperoni altogether and I'm replacing the turkey sausage with Gimme Lean ground sausage style veggie protein. This Gimme Lean product is meant to be used as you would any regular ground sausage. I've not used it before, but my friend Amanda tells me Gimme Lean is pretty good stuff. They also make a pepperoni, but I don't have any on hand.

I may still have to visit the grocery, however, because I don't yet know what's for dessert. My friend Jan sent me the tofu chocolate pie recipe below; she raves about it. Jan's not a vegetarian either, she just likes to eat healthfully. I might try it, if I get to the store.

AB's Chocolate Silk Pie
12 oz silken tofu
2 cups chocolate chips
1/3 cup coffee liquor (chocolate and orange would work well, too)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp honey
1 graham cracker crust (chocolate, if available)


Place tofu and honey into a blender or food processor.
Melt chocolate chips and coffee liquor together until smooth in a double boiler. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over tofu and whizz/blend the mixture until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
Pour into a pie crust and chill until firm, at least 2 hours.

Serves 10.

I don't know how may ww points everything is yet, but I do know that the cheesy pizza pasta is 6 points per serving with the turkey ingredients, so it's got to be less with the Gimme Lean. Anyway, I'm happy to know what I'm making this Sunday. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment