Saturday, October 24, 2009

Last Minute Dinner Ideas

I've been so busy thinking about and preparing for Halloween that I've neglected thinking about Sunday dinner. This evening I'm trolling the Internet looking for a recipe with garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas) and rice. I've found a few that sound promising, but haven't quite settled on one yet. Here are the recipes I'm considering:

Middle Eastern Garbanzo Rice Pilaf also has sundried tomatoes, garlic, Kalamata olives, goat cheese, capers, and lemon juice - this sounds somewhat similar to the Mediterranean Orzo Salad we had on September 13th that we liked so much. Definitely a possibility.

Thai Heavenly Pineapple Fried Rice doesn't actually call for garbanzo beans, but when I was searching through VeggieBoards I came across a post about the pineapple fried rice and someone suggested adding garbanzos. Sounds intriguing. This recipe includes peas, carrot, raisins or currants, cashews, and onion. If I make this I will add the garbanzo beans.

Garbanzo Tomato Pasta Soup doesn't actually have rice in it. It does, however, sound easy and yummy.

Chickpea Pot Pie is what started this search; this recipe is in the most recent Vegetarian Times that came in the mail this week. It received 2nd place in the 2009 Reader Recipe Contest. You should be able to find it online in a few weeks. Another similar recipe that sounds good is "Chicken" Pot Pie from Vegan Dad. No rice in either of these recipes, just good old comfort food.

All these recipes sound so good it will be hard to decide. I guess it will depend on what I have in the cupboard. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Until tomorrow, here's a photo of this year's Halloween costume. I'm very happy with how it turned out - and it shocked everyone that I actually sewed, myself included! Last night was our monthly bunco girls' night out and each October we dress for the occasion. On the 30th Michael and I are having a few friends over to celebrate the holiday; I'll wear this costume again for the party. No telling if I'll be prepared to cook for next Sunday's dinner too.

No comments:

Post a Comment