Tuesday, February 1, 2011

After Dinner Thoughts


Well, things changed. We had Sunday dinner on Saturday. Cindy, Dave, and Chris went to a Special Olympics dinner and dance Saturday night, so Mom and Dad came over that night. Then, they all went to Dave's sister Suzi's & family's house for Superbowl on Sunday. It all worked out (I went shopping). And, since I did go shopping I didn't feel like going so extravagant on the cupcakes - I made a yellow cake box mix and used already prepared frosting. I'll think about making the filled cupcakes in the coming weeks.

I decided to adjust my mom's Beef Stroganoff recipe.

[Original Recipe] *My adjustments

[2 lbs round steak (cut into 1” to 2” cubes)]
1 package Boca crumbles*
1 lb baby Portobello mushrooms, quartered*
2 cloves garlic, minced*
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 8-oz cans tomato sauce
[1 to 1 ½ cups sour cream]
1 to 1 ½ cups light sour cream*
Reames Frozen Egg Noodles, cooked according to package directions


[Brown round steak in oil] Sauté onion in oil, add garlic* and mushrooms; cook until mushrooms are browned. [Return meat to pan] Add crumbles* to pan along with all other ingredients EXCEPT sour cream. [Simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours over medium heat.] Simmer about 1/2 hour over medium heat to allow flavors to blend.* Add sour cream and heat over very low heat until heated through (do not boil or sour cream will curdle).

Serve over egg noodles or rice.

I hope the brackets and asterisks aren't too confusing. I just thought it might be easier to follow my changes if I wrote it this way.

The stroganoff turned out to be really good. It wasn't exactly the same as Mom's, but it was close enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment