Saturday, February 12, 2011

Mexican Vegetarian

I love Mexican food! Or, I should say I love American-Mexican food. We make a pretty good taco salad at our house based on a recipe we got from an Arkansas cousin probably close to 35 years ago. It uses tomato soup as a main ingredient. I'm going to make the taco salad like we usually do, with a little twist, I'm adding tofu (the original recipe calls for ground beef, we usually use Boca crumbles). I'm also going to make Triple Decker Tortillas.

Here's the Taco Salad recipe as I am making it tomorrow:

1 package Boca crumbles
1 can ranch-style black beans
1 block frozen extra firm tofu, thawed and drained, cut into small cubes
1 can tomato soup
1 package taco seasoning
1 cup water
2 carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small chopped onion
1 tablespoon canola or olive oil

Saute vegetables in oil, add crumbles, beans, and tofu. Stir in soup, taco seasoning and water. Allow to simmer well to meld flavors.

Lettuce, torn
Corn chips, broken
Tomatoes, chopped
Shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
Salsa
Light sour cream
Chopped green onion
Black olives

Use any or all of the above ingredients to make a salad bed; add cooked taco mixture.

I'm also going to make the Strawberry and Mascarpone Filled Cupcakes I didn't make for my last blog post. I'll be sure to let you know how it all turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment